Thursday 16 February 2006

Book review

I have just finished reading 'Untitled' by 'Anon' (waterproof - free with baby magazine).

Frankly I found it disappointingly vague.
We are introduced to Cat and Chick early on and immediately sense the tension. But then the plot inexplicably switches to Sheep (baa) and Mrs Moooooo Cooooooow, who obviously have some empathy - though we are left to imagine why.

Donkey and Woof Dog are next and, whilst there is nothing explicit offered in terms of aggression, we are left with the distinct impression that something has occurred in the past for which Donkey is unable to forgive Woof Dog. Suddenly, we are left with the mouse. No set up, no explanation... nothing. To be honest I think the authors are just trying to be clever-clever with this ending but, for me, I just found it a little patronising and wilfully obtuse.

Overall, not one I'd recommend, I'm afraid.

No comments: